Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Discussion of 9/05/09 Experiment

So this is what happened. I set the Variable Transformer to some reasonable voltage, like 200 V DC. I measured the voltage between the Cathode and the Anode. There was a purple plasma around the Cathode. I'm sitting there watching it, and after a while, it all of a sudden gets bigger, changes color; the bubbling becomes more violent, and the voltmeter goes crazy. And there were flashes of white light. The voltmeter jumps around 500 600 800 700 1200 1900 1300 800 700 600 400 500 400... when the voltage finally chilled out, the plasma got smaller and went back to being purple. Then after a few more seconds, the same thing would happen all over again.

The other weird thing that happened was at one point the whole cell turned blood red. It really freaked me out. I didn't know it could even do that. Why do these things happen? I don't know.

I ran the cell again today with the leftover electrolyte, and it didn't make any good plasma. just got sparkly. then the tungsten got hot like a toaster element. i guess you can't re-use electrolyte? have to get more distilled water. keep getting aqueus solution on my hands but it doesn't burn. it says "storage code GREEN" so i guess it's safe? I got the K2CO3 from amazon.com.

Oh wait, actually it says it's harmful and irritating :)

I want a bigger capacitor. I discharged my cap array with a screwdriver and it went CRACK and made a big spark.

No comments:

Post a Comment